There are 10 pupil places available in Highland, to participate in a Summer Immersion Trip to China in 2019. It is open to pupils who are currently in S4 & 5 and they will be accompanied by Mrs Ann Mackintosh (PT Languages) .
Any interested pupil should write a letter to Mrs Mackintosh explaining the following:
- their interest in China and learning Mandarin,
- what they expect to get out of it,
- what they will use Mandarin for/how they will continue to develop upon it their return, sharing of experiences in local community/Associated school group.
Letters should be no more than 1 side of A4. There will be a selection process with interviews in late January. The deadline for your letter is 11 January 2019.
The Summer Immersion course is a culture and language immersion course organised jointly by the Confucius Institute for Scotland’s Schools, Hanban and the Tianjin Municipal Education Commission. Pupils from across Scotland enjoy a 2-week trip to Beijing and Tianjin. The course includes Mandarin and Chinese culture lessons and sightseeing in both Beijing and Tianjin. All participants are asked to pay £600 towards the cost of this trip. On successful completion of the course pupils will receive SQA accreditation. Pupils must complete 10 hours of Mandarin study in Scotland before going to China, which will be done in school with our Mandarin teacher.
- The pupils must have an interest in studying Chinese or already be studying Chinese and be able to continue their language learning on their return.
- The pupils should understand that the purpose of this visit is to learn about Chinese language and culture and much of their time will be spent in class.
- The pupils must be willing to be flexible and understand that many customs and experiences will be different from the UK, including the food.
- Pupils will need to be open to experiencing other people’s cultures as they will be taking part in a short home visit to a carefully selected family unaccompanied by their teacher.
- Pupils should be able to cope with a physically demanding programme.
- Pupils should currently be in S4 or S5. They must be no younger than 15 at the time of the trip.
- Pupils should be in possession of a passport which is valid for 6 months after the date of travel and has 2 free passport pages