Snowsports Trip ’22 update

It is with regret that we have had to make the decision not to go ahead with the upcoming Snowsports Trip in January 2022. 

The current guidance from both the Scottish Government and Highland Council is not to allow international school trips at this time. Although it is possible that this guidance might change, the expected update to the Scottish Government guidelines has not been published yet. Given this delay together with rising Covid numbers across Scotland, we feel that it is unlikely that International trips will be allowed in the coming months. 

Last week, Mrs Knight was in discussion with Skibound and Highland Council Outdoor Education, as well as our colleagues in Kingussie High School. We have a number of concerns regarding going ahead with the trip, including increased costs for each pupil to cover Covid testing, the possibility of pupils contracting Covid, either traveling or in resort, and the subsequent issues with isolation and quarantine. We therefore feel that we would be unable to offer the same quality of experience and trip that we usually do. For these reasons, we have initiated discussion with Skibound about either postponing or cancelling our booking. 

The managers of Skibound are not available this week, and are going to look at our request on the week beginning 6th September. At the end of this week, we should be able to make definite plans regarding the trip. We will then contact each family to discuss how you would like to proceed. At this point, we are unable to request a refund of our deposits, but will be discussing this with Skibound as soon as possible. Any other payments that you have made above the deposits paid to Skibound are held with the school currently. Pupils who were booked on the original trip (2021 trip) have paid £400 in deposits to Skibound, and those who joined us for the 2022 booking have paid £250 in deposit to Skibound. 

We wanted to let all families know this sad news as soon as we could. If you could please bear with us until 10th September, we will have more information regarding deposits and if there is a possibility of re-booking for January 2023. We will get in touch with families as soon as possible after the 10th September but if you have any urgent queries before then, please contact Mrs Rachel Knight at the school.