Mrs Ann MacIntosh, Principal Teacher
Mr Daniel Gete-Garrido
Mr Lee Mo
This course will challenge your French by giving you the opportunity to study a range of current topics related to France and French speaking countries:
- The world of work
- Sports and Healthy living
- World issues such as environmental problems, teenage issues, technology and media
This course will develop your skills and confidence to use and understand the language. It will provide you with the foundations for progressing to Higher and Advanced Higher.
Entry requirement – none.
Please note that the study of a language at N5 is recommended for entry to Primary Teaching courses for some universities.
This course is made up of two mandatory units taught through four broad contexts: society, learning, employability and culture. Pupils will be given the opportunity to study French literature and film during the course. The two Units, taken together, include the four language skills of reading, listening, talking and writing.
- Understanding Language
The purpose of this Unit is to provide learners with the opportunity to develop and extend reading and listening skills in the modern language, and to develop their knowledge and understanding of detailed and complex language.
- Using Language
The purpose of this Unit is to provide learners with the opportunity to develop and extend talking and writing skills in the modern language, and to develop their knowledge and understanding of detailed and complex language in the contexts of society, learning, employability, and culture.
Entry recommendation – A/B pass at National 5.
Advanced Higher French
There are three Units in Advanced Higher Modern Languages
- Understanding Language — assessing the skills of reading and listening in the four contexts of society, learning, employability and culture.
- Using Language — assessing the skills of talking and writing in the modern language in the four contexts of society, learning, employability and culture.
- Specialist Study — providing evidence of writing skills, using complex language, in the modern language by analysing and evaluating one of the following: a literary or media text or a thematic aspect of the country/countries of the modern language.
Entry recommendation – A/B pass at Higher.
Please note that independent learning will be required for this course.